Government of India InitiativeNeed of Digital Locker System
- Documents mostly prevalent in physical form, leading to huge administrative overhead
- Challenge to residents in submitting multiple physical copies of the documents
- Challenge of verifying the authenticity of the documents
- Enable digital empowerment of residents by providing them with Digital Locker on the cloud
- Enable e-Signing of documents and make them available electronically and online
- Minimize the use of physical documents
- Ensure Authenticity of the e-documents and thereby eliminating usage of fake documents
- Secure access to Govt. issued documents through a web portal and mobile application for residents
- Reduce administrative overhead of Govt. departments and agencies and make it easy for the residents to receive services
- Anytime, anywhere access to the documents by the resident
- Open and interoperable standards based architecture
- Architecture to support a well-structured standard document format to support easy sharing of documents across departments and agencies
- Ensure privacy and authorized access to residents’ data.
Digital Locker System
Entity issuing e-documents to individuals in a standard format and making them electronically available e.g. CBSE, Registrar Office, Income Tax department, etc.
Entity requesting secure access to a particular e-document stored in the repository (e.g. University, Passport Office, Regional Transport Office, etc.)
An individual who uses the Digital Locker service based on Aadhaar and OTP (One Time Password) authentication.
Collection of e-documents and exposing a standard API for secure real-time access.
Online mechanism for requesters to access an e-document in a uniform way from various repositories in real-time
Dedicated personal storage space, linked to each resident’s Aadhaar
- To securely store e-documents
- To store URI link of e-documents
- eSign online service to digitally sign documents
Digital Locker Portal
Digital Locker directory list of registered Issuers, repositories, gateways, policies, guidelines and forms
Dashboard for providing real time transaction volumes of the e-documents accessed
How to Use Digital Locker
- Aadhaar number and Aadhaar linked mobile number required to sign up for Digital Locker
- To login one need to enter the Aadhaar number on the login field.
- A One Time Password (OTP) will be sent on UIDAI registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP in the field and an e-Know Your Customer (e-KYC) will be done with UIDAI.
- Once e-KYC is successful, residents can view the URIs of e-Documents which have been uploaded into the Digital Locker by various issuers.
- Resident can also upload e-documents in their Digital Locker and eSign them.
- Residents can share private documents with requesters by sharing a link to the eDocument to the email address of the requester.
- An Issuer needs to register on Digital Locker System to get a unique Issuer ID.
- Once an ID is assigned, Issuer can upload the documents in a standard XML format in the designated repository using repository service provider API.
- Each document uploaded in the repository will have unique URI comprising of Issuer ID, Document Type and Document ID. The document URI will be pushed to the concerned resident’s Digital Locker based on his/her Aadhaar number.
- A Requester needs to first register with an access gateway to onboard Digital Locker system.
- A Requester can use document URIs to securely retrieve the documents from the repository through an access gateway
Digital Locker User Manual